Taken from Mystery of the Mind of Christ
Your fight against sin begins with believing there is a fight to be had. Sin will either tempt you to not fight, to fight the wrong things, or to fight the wrong way. I’ve heard it said, ‘Practice doesn’t make perfect, it makes permanent. You can get very good at fighting the wrong thing the wrong way. Here is the right way:
1. Fight honorably – the fight for the glory of God (Right motivation)
2. Fight intentionally- the fight is strategic (Right battle plan)
3. Fight ruthlessly – the fight is painful. (Right and Radical Sacrifice)
4. Fight relentlessly – the fight is never over (Right disposition)
5. Fight skillfully – the fight is biblical (Right weapon)
6. Fight communally- the fight is together (Right Community)
7. Fight faithfully – the fight is Christ-centered (Right means)
Our fight is not just one of defense, it is one of offense. Repentance is both walking away from and walking toward—it is not standing still.
Jeremiah 2.1 13 for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.